CAREER COUNSELING – Whether you realize it or not, the process of developing your career has been going on all your life. Your interests, skills, values, personality, upbringing, and circumstances are just a few of the many things that might affect how your career develops. In order to make decisions about your job, education, and overall well-being, career counseling is a process that will help you get to know and understand yourself as well as the working environment.
Choosing a major and determining what profession you want to acquire after graduation are only two aspects of career development. In other words, you will change during your life, circumstances will change, and you will constantly have to make decisions about your profession and your personal life. Career counseling aims to equip you with the knowledge and abilities you need to make future career and life decisions in addition to assisting you in making the decisions you must make right away.
Who is a career counselor?
A career counselor is someone who is knowledgeable about career development theory, counseling techniques, assessment administration and interpretation, and career information resources. Career counselor give people advice and information about what type of work they could do or how they could progress to a better job.
What are the roles of a Career Counselor?
- Help you figure out who you are and what you want out of your education, your career, and your life.
- Be someone for you to talk to about your thoughts, ideas, feelings, and concerns about your career and educational choices, who will help you sort out, organize, and make sense of your thoughts and feelings.
- Help you identify the factors influencing your career development, and help you assess your interests, abilities, and values.
- Administer personality and career tests to assess clients’ career aptitudes and interests.
- Identify career possibilities and educate clients about these options.
- Provide referrals to community resources, such as job training opportunities and educational programs.
- Help you locate resources and sources of career information.
- Help you to determine next steps and develop a plan to achieve your goals.
Why you need career counseling
Career counseling is acceptable for all individuals, including freshmen, high schoolers, juniors, seniors, and even alumni because career development is a lifelong process. But the earlier you start making deliberate choices about your future, the better off you’ll be! All first-year students are encouraged to visit with a career counselor.
See Also: How to choose a course to study in university
14 benefits of career counseling
- Career counseling helps students find their passion and purpose in life.
- Career counselors help students identify what they want to do with their lives.
- Students who have been through career counseling are more likely to graduate college than those who haven’t.
- Many people think that career counseling is only for high school students, but many colleges offer career counseling services to their students.
- Career counselors help students figure out if they should go to college or not.
- Career counseling helps students choose a major that fits them best.
- Career counselors help students decide whether they want to pursue a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree.
- Career counselors help students find internships and jobs after graduation.
- Career counselors help students get scholarships and grants.
- Career counselors help students prepare for interviews and job fairs.
- Career counselors help students learn about careers and how to apply for jobs.
- Career counselors help students explore different career options.
- Career counselors help students develop good study habits.
- Career counselors help students build self-confidence.
Because your job search/career attainment process is an important part of your career development, Job Search Advising and Career Counseling are intertwined. In addition, your Career Counselor is fully trained to assist you with all aspects of your job search.
IN NEED OF CAREER COUNSELLING? Send us an Email: email@example.com
We seek your support
From day one, AU believes that education is a lifelong process that enriches the intellectual, moral, and spiritual life of the individual and prepares one for an active role in society.
Our services are provided in the spirit of a new Nigeria in order to better the Nigerian society through quality education. We want to reach the greatest number of Nigerians possible. Help us spread the spirit of a new Nigeria by contributing in these ways, which will only take a few seconds and one or two clicks.
- By sharing the post – You never can say who among your friends on social media might benefit from this. So by sharing, you will not only help us serve more people but you will also be saving someone with valuable information. To share the post, click on either the Facebook or Twitter icons under the post and follow the prompt.
- Drop a Comment – Never read without saying a word. Your commendations, criticisms, and suggestions will help us serve you better. Also, your contribution may be the information that someone needed. So endeavor to drop a comment in the comment box.
- Join Our Mailing List – We want to continually serve you. However, since we may miss our publication dates; you will help us get our content to your mailbox directly. By subscribing for updates, you become our VIP – you will get updates on our works, discounts, and bonanza. To join our newsletter, drop your email in the box at the sidebar.
Thanks for Visiting Our Site – Support us spread quality, and share this guide!
Im very happy to find this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time just for this fantastic read!! I definitely liked every bit of it and i also have you book-marked to see new things in your website.